Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Weekend Escape to the Eau C

I have a single trip since COVID stay at home and I wish it were in happier circumstances. I am based in the urban core of Minneapolis-Saint Paul, not the most tranquil of urban environments this year. In the immediate aftermath of the George Floyd tragedy I knew eventually there would be a march on the capital and that it was very likely to have an impact on my work from home productivity. After dealing with helicopter noise for an hour straight I decided it was time to relocate for a long weekend.

This lead to hastily searching what hotels were actually open within driving range and were in a location somewhere other than an interstate exit as I intended on enjoying my off hours outdoors. I settled on the Hampton Inn in Eau Claire as I was somewhat familiar with the city and the hotel is located on the edge of a commercial strip with access to walking trails. I dug out my disused Hilton Amex and made the booking, hastily packed for three days and made the leisurely drive east. Travel in late May was still way down, I counted less than 20 cars in the parking lot on the first night and slightly more the second night.

The front desk was separated from the lobby by what appeared to be a shower curtain, effective but unsightly. I was quite diligent about keeping my distance and all went well. I inquired about breakfast and was told that it was grab and go bags. I entered the room and began my own disinfecting on top of the cleaning the hotel had done. The following morning I discovered this consisted of a wrapped apple, cereal bar, and Spunkmeyer muffin. Coffee was available on request and distributed by gloved staff hands. I opted to take the coffee and apple but otherwise had decided the McDonald's next door was going to offer a healthier breakfast. Hearing that Wisconsin had opened restaurants for take out I walked over to find that the operation was actually dive thru only. I returned the the hotel room to collect car keys and was successful in obtaining breakfast on the third attempt. I returned to my room to eat and a day of remote telework, the desk setup was a bit smaller than I would have desired but it was functional for an 8 hour day on the laptop and conference calls.

After work I went downtown and explored the trails through downtown and Carson Park. I was surprised to see how much of the city is actually on the riverfront and how well kept the park was. I easily got my 10,000 steps and more in the sun and had got some local beer and takeout dinner for another meal back in the hotel room. The second morning went much the same as the first, McBreakfast in the room and another day of exploring in the sun and keeping current on the news of home. On checkout the front desk remembered why I was there and sincerely inquired on the status of the protests.

Overall the COVID roadtrip was not as much of the foreign experience I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment